Monday, November 9, 2009

- Groan


Well, it was a marathon day at the Jewish General today. I went to my "Coping Skills" workshop at 10 am and learned some coping skills, which was good, because I needed them for the news I got this afternoon.

I met with my Medical Oncologist, Dr. Cohen, for the first time. He reviewed my pathology reports, which, strangely enough, I just don't seem to ever get around to reading, even though I have my own copies right here at home. I always have tons of time and energy to invest in Blogging, Facebook and emails, but I think it's a form of denial that I don't want to deal with my path reports.

Anyways, this afternoon I had no choice but to face the music. Although hopefully all of the cancer has now been removed from my body, chemo is still necessary to attack any possible maverick cells.

The cancer was Stage 2. My understanding is that if there had just been the two tumors, that would have been Stage 1, but because there was lymph node involvement, that's Stage 2.

My cancer was a Grade 3. The grade refers to the aggression of the cancer, and it's out of a possible score of 3. Mine was the most aggressive.



SO....here's the biggie: 6 months of chemo, followed by 9 months of another treatment. Hair will definitely fall out with the type of chemo I'll have. Nausea should be well under control with the anti-nausea meds they have. The type of chemo I'll be receiving causes heart trouble in 10% to 20% of patients, so I'll also have to be monitored closely for that - if the heart trouble isn't caught early, it can cause permanent damage.They don't advise working during chemo since most people feel very, very tired.

On the good side, my chemo will be 1 day every 3 weeks for a few hours, so that's not too bad. That will be for 6 months. Then, when the 9-month treatment starts, that one will only be 1 hour every 3 weeks, and it does not cause serious fatigue, so I can live a more normal life once that treatment starts. And when all that is said and done, I'll be on pills for 5 years.

Sigh. I miss my dad. I've been thinking that lately. He died of cancer four years ago this month. But then I think, I'm kinda glad he's not here to see all this - it would have hurt him so deeply to see his 'little girl' going through the cancer mill....



Well, on the fun side, I've won a contest! See More of me! More is a magazine for women over 40 and I entered their contest (I think it was about attitude), telling my story about Breast Cancer. I found out today that I'm the October winner for their View From Her segment. The story is posted on their website here:

So now on top of being a Very Famous Movie Star, I can now say that I'm a....a....um....Very Famous Published Author? It's my first paid story submission, so I guess I can say that. How much are they paying me, you ask? Don't ask. Please don't. Okay. I won $40. Can you believe it? $40. That's only enough to fund a day or two of my chocolate habit.

If this was the United States, I would have received a condo or something for winning this contest. But no, we Canadians like to be humble...unmaterialistic....non-showoffy. So I will get $40.

No wonder artists are starving.

Just kidding, More. I love you! Thanks for choosing me! Yipeee!!

More to come tomorrow. For now, bed. And Timmy snuggling up really close. A tough afternoon, it was, but it's not awful, and I can do this.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy,

    You are truly amazing. I love your blog, I love the magazine article. What a wonderful attitude you have. I love your boobie jokes. Keep them coming.

    Love,

    E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy,

    How wonderful to read about your contest win, and a couple of days ago you were working on a documentary? Were you just feeling guilty about not having plans? Wow, it seems to me that you are living life to the full and good for you!

    I am enjoying your blog, getting to know you more, and "walking" along with you during your journey.

    Wow! You are loved.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl! Time to face the chemo head on. You can do it. Nothing can stop you. You are such a remarkable woman and you have so much to give. God is working wonders through you. You have touched so many people with your music, your comedy, your blog, and just your zest for life. I'm so happy to call you my friend and my "Survivor" friend too. I will continue to pray for you throughout your journey and I know you will have all those nurses and other cancer patients on the 8th floor at the Jewish Hospital rolling in laughter and making their life so much more fulfilled by getting to know you. I'm cheering you on each step of the way. Hugs to you, our SURVIVOR!!!

    Wendy G

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though you only received $40 from the magazine, many women and men will read the article and know you are worth a million.

    Thank you for setting an amazing example for cancer patients and all humans as we all face challenges big and small!!!

    ReplyDelete