Monday, September 28, 2009

- And Sometimes Shadows Fall


I guess after every high comes a low, right? Odd to be saying I was on a high considering what I've faced this past month or so, but I've been amazed at the actual exhilaration I have felt over the past few weeks. I'd gotten so used to it, and now that it's faded a bit, I miss it. I guess this is where character building comes in.

I think my 'high' has been comprised of a network of things: tons of prayer and encouragement, lots of cheerleaders in the wings, no notable physical symptoms telling me I was sick in any way, and an amazing sense of health and strength immediately following the surgery.

Ah, but back to reality. One week to the day following the operation, the pain, discomfort and fatigue set in. "The anesthesia takes one to two weeks to wear off." Oh. Did you forget to mention that before, doc? It would've been handy to know. No matter . . . except that the painkillers do a weird number to my chest area - makes me feel like I've been frozen with a thousand needles and I walk around feeling like my boob area is vibrating. Very odd sensation. Do not try this at home.

The pharmacist suggests taking half a pill instead of a whole one. Right. I've made note of that, believe me. I do not enjoy feeling like my chest is a cell phone on vibrate, ringing constantly. Nope, not at all. :)

"You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him."


Found this quote today on a friend's email - I like it and it's timely. I don't want to allow life's daily trials to discourage me. Tonight I spoke with Cheryl, a wonderful woman who has faced and is facing her cancer with strength and dignity. She encouraged me over the phone and urged me to eat right, to keep exercising and to stay positive. Right. I'm making note of that, too . . . thanks, Cheryl: you go, girl.

Tomorrow I go to the hospital get the remaining clips removed from my incision. Doesn't that sound gross? Well, I've decided not to edit what I type tonight. Besides, one of today's trials is that I couldn't connect to the internet where I'm staying, back in Roxboro. (I'm so grateful to Anne, who took such great care of me from the time I came out of the hospital until this past Saturday . . . thanks, Annie, for a wonderful eleven days in Kirkland - you rock!)

Anyways, so I've driven here to Rockaberry's (I didn't eat anything naughty - honest! Only an apple juice!) to hook up to the internet and to blog, and it's almost closing time, so I *really* don't have time to edit. It hurt to drive, but I decided that it was hurting more to stay home without the internet and not blog. So here I am . . . just me and my vibrating chest, sitting in the dark, broody atmosphere of Rockaberry's, typing to you. Please reward my efforts by leaving a message so that I know you're reading this fascinating stuff!

Oh, dear, I'm being kicked out. Well, here's to brighter days ahead, and to determination, and to not lying down when it's tough. Here's to each one of you reading who are also facing life's challenges with bravery, with dignity, and with grace . . . here's to us! God bless us, every one. :)



2 comments:

  1. I'm always reading :o) Love you lots. Where are you staying now? Can someone come help you get the internet set up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been very moved by your postings, Wendy, especially your song to your Dad - you were very blessed to have such a wonderful father. I'm sure he wasn't perfect, but he was there and, from the looks of it, devoted to you. It is very healing for me to see that, as it offers a better picture of what our Father God is like, rather than the one I've been carrying around with me based on my own experiences.

    Loved your blessing at the end of this post - "Well, here's to brighter days ahead, and to determination, and to not lying down when it's tough. Here's to each one of you reading who are also facing life's challenges with bravery, with dignity, and with grace . . . here's to us! God bless us, every one." :) As we are admonished to do - "choose life" even when it hurts! I'll be praying for you today, kiddo.

    I'm finding for myself that it is in my weakness that God is strong. I've found such blessing in the prayers of others for me, in reaching out and admitting that I am frightened and confused - first of all to myself, then to God, then to others. I have received great blessings. This whole experience has been a huge catalyst for spiritual growth for me, revealing the areas - which are many - in myself that have held God at bay for so many years. Amazingly, He knew about them all the time! And loves me despite them!

    Love and blessings to you, Wendy,

    N.

    ReplyDelete