Monday, January 25, 2010

- Daniel Stolfi is a Funny Guy


If you are one of the people I gave my blog card to at Dan Stolfi's show Sunday night, I'm glad you're here checking me out! Yay! Welcome! Wasn't Dan's show fun? I just knew he was going to get a standing ovation!

So tonight (well, technically it was last night, since it's now 12:30 am Monday morning) we went to see Daniel Stolfi perform his one-man play "Cancer Can't Dance Like This" here in Montreal. 

As I said in yesterday's posting, Liliana and the film crew and I went, and the crew filmed Dan's entire show. It was great! Everybody laughed so much!

Here's more about Dan from one of his reviews:
"In March of 2008, Daniel Stolfi was diagnosed with Acute Non – Hodgkin’s T-Lymphoblastic Lymphoma, an aggressive form of cancer that would need equally aggressive chemotherapy treatment over the following two years of his life.

"In "Cancer Can’t Dance Like This", Daniel takes the audience through a number of comedic monologues, musical numbers and character portrayals of his lost attributes to the disease. The question: can cancer outdance the dancing machine? Only time will tell."

Kudos to Dan for enduring so much pain throughout this chemo. My own father was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in the summer of 2005, at 88 years of age. He was told right away that because of his age, he would not be able to endure the chemotherapy - it's so aggressive and brutal on the body, only young people can tolerate it (he died three months later, thankfully without pain.) So Dan has had to summon a lot of inner strength to remain so positive, and my wig is off to him!

It was such a fun show! Dan, you were great! Andrew, tell Dan he was great. For everyone else reading this blog, I should explain that Andrew Ferguson is the show's producer, but he wears many hats, as you can imagine. One of his other roles is to read things out loud to Dan, like this blog posting.

I'm not sure if Andrew does this because Dan is "feeling poorly", as they say in England, or because maybe Dan can't, like, read English or something. Whatever. It isn't really my business, now, is it?

I think it would be nice to have a friend that reads things out loud to you. Maybe I should find a friend who can read out loud to me. That sounds comforting. Any volunteers?

Anyways, after the show was over and people had gone home, we all went up on stage - Liliana, the crew, Dan, his team, and I - and shot an interview with Dan and I, and that was equally fun!

I sat in Dan's chair for the entire interview! A director's-type chair with Dan Stolfi's name on it! It was very comfy. Dan wanted to sit in it himself but I pretended I didn't know that.

We talked about our cancer experiences. Dan's has been much rougher than mine by far, unfortunately. We also compared Port-A-Caths. Dan's Port-A-Cath is very small and petite. My Port-A-Cath is very bulky and protrudes  under my skin like a stack of nickels, for goodness sake! Oh, well.

I think Dan got the feminine Port-A-Cath and I got the masculine one. They must have gotten mixed up or something. It's not fair. You can hardly see Dan's Port-A-Cath. It barely sticks out at all. It's not fair.

Anyways, at the end of the interview, Dan said maybe I could come to Toronto and jump out of a cake when he has his end-of-chemo party. I told him I didn't think he seriously wanted a 50-year-old with no boobies and no hair to jump out of his cake. I mean, think about it, people. It wouldn't really be all that pretty.

Dan got very serious after I said that. I think he's reconsidering his offer.



















Here's a pic of Dan & I - we switched wigs for this photo! Talk about bonding!

I'm noticing my left boobie in this photo is kinda big - I think I have to remove more cotton from it . . . it's looking a little mountainous.

Well, that's my blog posting for today. I'm pretty pooped now and I have to go to bed after my Big Outing. I don't go to plays very often but it sure was fun to see someone like Dan doing a show like that.

I haven't said this before on this blog, but I have started writing my very own one-woman play. I have some ideas and wanted to see Dan's play to give me some guidelines and some ideas of how to do a play myself. Isn't that cool? So we'll see where this goes!!!

If I do a play, all of you have to come out and see it, okay? We will have a marvellous time laughing all together, because of course, my play will hopefully be very funny just like Dan's. And afterward, we could have a big party and stay up all night! Wouldn't that be fun!

As if. Who are we kidding? Most of us reading this blog are over 40 and probably many more over 50 and some of you look old enough to be over 70 - oh, sorry, did I say that in my out-loud voice?

Anyways, not many of us would make it past midnight as we have to get our beauty sleep and get up in time to take our medications and try to unconstipate ourselves, so I guess we should forget the bit about partying all night. But it was a nice thought, don't you think?

Blessings to all you readers, and especially to you, Dan, Andrew, Jennifer and crew! Keep on doing what you're doing, bringing joy and inspiration to so many!

Love and hugs from Wendy  xoxo


5 comments:

  1. Hey Wendy! I read your blog all by myself today! Thanks for the shout out and all the pics and for coming to the show! It was great sitting down with you and doing the interview. You are a lot of fun and have a great energy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed the play. I should have gone to see it too. But you know us old people, we need our rest....lol. I really liked your photo with the wig switch up. I think the curls do you justice. Now you know how you will look when your hair starts to grow back in. Amanda and I were happy to see the Talent Show on Saturday and really enjoyed hearing your beautiful song, "God's Got His Eye On You". Thanks for all the laughs too. I love your humor. Keep the jokes coming. Love ya.

    Wendy G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bring that tour on the road Wendy! I want to see it in Vancouver.

    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like it was a blast. Good for you, this was an experience you probably would have never had if you were in great health. You probably would have stayed at home and read or something.

    Yeh, I still think it is a great idea to pursue for you to have your own play. I know it would be a hit. Please don't give up.

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, you are a champion in my eyes. God knows our struggles. I must say that today someone told me, Stella dont let anything steal your joy, she said: "The joy of the Lord is your strength"...and soon after an email came in linking me to you. Thank you Wendy♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete