Friday, December 3, 2010

- My Happy Hysterectomy!


Yes, it's all over with and I am minus my plumbing. I had my Happy Hysterectomy on November 30, 2010 at 9 am. 

Just before we went into the Operating Room, I told my surgeon, cutie-pie Dr. Tulandi, that I was hoping I'd weigh less after the operation.

He just laughed (I think he thought I was serious - and I was, kinda) and said, "It only weighs a few ounces!! Ha ha ha!!" Yeah, I figured that. Oh, well, a girl can always dream....

Ya, so this is Dr. Togas Tulandi, my favorite gynecologist in the whole world. He's super-nice, always in a good mood, never snobby, and he has a great reputation. 

He's the one who removed my left ovary (it was pretty beat up from too much endometriosis) around 10 years ago, so I figured he should be the one to finish the job & get the complete set.

I also like him because he laughs at my jokes, which is an important factor in choosing a doctor. For me, anyways. And would you believe, he CALLED ME AT HOME the night after the surgery to see how I was doing!!! How's THAT for a doctor, huh?!?? What a cutie-pie!!

Ya, so this was my FIFTH surgery since this whole breast cancer saga began in August 2009. And the weird thing is, every one of those five surgeries has been done in "ODS", or One Day Surgery, something I never would have imagined. 

I mean, it's not like I was getting a wart removed or something. These are major surgeries they're doing! But at the end of the day, home we go! (Well, they did keep me overnight for the bilateral mastectomy, which was very kind of them).

So I've had, in order of appearance:
1) a bilateral mastectomy in September 2009
2) lymph node removals in October 2009
3) my Port-A-Cath installation in I-don't-remember-when
4) my Port-A-Cath removal & re-installation of another Port-A-Cath that actually worked properly in September 2010, and 
5) a hysterectomy in November 2010. 

I think that's enough, already!















Of course, I'm good buddies with the ODS - One Day Surgery - staff by now....I mean, we're practically family, don't you know! This is Elizabeth, the receptionist in ODS. She's SO much fun and we always have lots of laughs when I'm there.

So this surgery was what they call a prophylactic hysterectomy. That means I had it done for preventative purposes. 

I figure if I can get every major organ removed from my body between now and, say, 2014, why, I'll be SO much more at peace because the cancer won't have anywhere to hang out if it did come back, right?



Except I draw the line at them removing my brain. I need my brain. And my heart. I need that, too. 

But I figure everything else is expendable, so I'm getting it cut out. Ha!


The oral medication they put you on for five years, following an episode with breast cancer, actually stimulates the lining of the uterus, which can cause cancer! Sheesh!


So I figured it was safer to get a hysterectomy. If I don't have a uterus, I can't get cancer of the uterus. A no-brainer, right? 

Dr. Cohen - my cutie-pie Oncologist - and Dr. Tulandi, my gynie, agreed with me. I like it when my doctors agree with me. See? I make their jobs so much easier for them! I tell them what I want, and they, like, do it! It's like I'm diagnosing myself - what fun!

So that's all....I'm still kinda tired from Monday's surgery so I should get back to bed, now. But I knew you'd want to be brought up-to-speed on my fascinating life, so I felt I had a moral duty to post this before completely relaxing & taking it easy.

Till next time! Bye bye!

Love, Meeee xoxo












6 comments:

  1. I had Dr. Tulandi in 1993 when I was going for fertility treatments, however, he told me that I could not have children, well 6 months late I was pregnant.

    Unfortunately I didn't care too much for him but glad he treated you well ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love hearing about your episodes and onging successes Wendy. This hysterectomy sounds like it went very well for you. I have to say your hair is growing back even thicker than before!!!!
    Love,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Wendy, wouldn't it be more accurate to say "In order if Disappearance" than "Order of Appearance"...? ;-) I'm impressed that you're still full of humour after everything. You're pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taf: that's kinda true, except for the Port-A-Caths - they appeared, one by one. Port-A-Cath #1 has disappeared, though. And Port-A-Cath #2 will disappear when I've finished all my IV treatments. Maybe I should've put "In chronological order"??? "As listed on bill to the Quebec government"??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Wendy,
    So glad to hear you had a "happy Hysterectomy". Why keep it if you don't need it, RIGHT??? Guess what? My latest medical epsidode: I was diagnosed with Liver Cancer about 6 weeks ago. It's been before the tumor board BUT I'm still waiting for an appointment with an oncologist at the RVH, Dr. Kavan. Ever heard of him? SLOWNESS. I Just hope the cancer isn't travelling all around my liver or elsewhere. I have a PET Scan on Monday to see if this is secondary or primary. I love your humour and really need it now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure I would have done the same as you but without lights, camera, action.
    I'm kinda glad that you did what you did, it saves on Thinking, did I do enough??
    God Bless you for your reaching out to us and opening up your heart and soul. We all need comic
    relief. thank you Wendy. love ya

    ReplyDelete